Organic Soil Conditioner Lawn Treatment
Humate soil conditioner is an amazing organic soil treatment and microorganism stimulant. One application of humate soil conditioner is similar to applying ½ inch of a high quality organic compost over the surface of the lawn. Humate is one of Organo-Lawn’s most amazing lawn and tree care products, because of how much it builds the soil and how much easier and less expensive it costs compared to performing an organic compost top dressing.
One or two applications of Humate Soil Conditioner per year is a must-do for lawns that have a heavy clay content in the soil. Many of our lawn care customers in the Boulder and Fort Collins areas have found that annual applications of this organic soil conditioner have dramatically improved the health of the soils in their residential lawns.
What is Humate for Lawns?
Humate Soil Conditioner is basically million year old organic matter that is mined from the soil. It has a positive effect on the physical, chemical, and biological reactions of the soil leading to an increase in soil fertility and microbial activity. Humate is comprised of Humic Acid and Fulvic Acid, which are proven to build organic matter in soils, stimulate beneficial microbial activity and Humate is a key component in building a living soil. Basically, humate is million year old organic matter that is very similar to coal, but humate is also loaded with organic compounds that will build organic matter in soils.
If the lawn is being watered deeply and infrequently and the lawn is being serviced by Organo-Lawn’s full season lawn care program, the visual results after an application of humate soil conditioner will be a deep dark-green and lush lawn. Unlike lawn fertilizers, humate, will not cause the grass to grow any faster. Humate will make the color of the grass a dark-green color without causing it grow because humate helps release beneficial nutrients from the soil that are otherwise unavailable to the grass. Humate is a chelating agent and does a great job at releasing the nutrients like nitrogen, iron, potassium, etc., that are otherwise tied-up in the soil. These nutrients are often abundant in the soil, but not usable by plants until a product like humate is applied.
Benefits of Humate Soil Conditioner
Simple Benefits of Humate Soil Conditioner:
- Humate reduces the clay content and compaction levels in soils.
- Humate builds healthy organic matter in soils.
- Humate allows water to penetrate clay soils easier.
- Humate increase in the lawn’s soils capacity to retain water.
- Humate reduces water evaporation from soils.
- Humate stimulates beneficial microbial activity in soils.
- Humate increases grass seed germination percentage.
Humate is especially effective in clay soils and is an extremely successful organic soil treatment for lawn in Colorado. The soils around Boulder and Fort Collins are famous for being mostly clay and lacking organic matter.
Complex Benefits of Humate Soil Conditioner:
- Stabilizes soil conditions.
- Fosters the transportation of microelements up to the grass and tree’s roots
- Beneficial chelating effect on Iron, Magnesium, Zinc, Copper and many other nutrients.
- Reduces the salinity in soil by sequestering Na+
- Stabilizes soil pH
What Are the Best Uses for Humate Soil Conditioner?
- Apply Humate to increase seed germination percentages in a top seeding package.
- Apply Humate when a lawn has heavy clay soils like we have in most lawns of Colorado.
- Always apply humate if a lawn is suffering from Necrotic Ring Spot lawn fungus.
- Consider applying Humate if a lawn is suffering from Ascochyta Leaf Blight or Dollar spot lawn fungus.
- Apply humate and water a lawn deeply if it is heat or drought stressed.
- We strongly recommend applying Humate when transplanting trees.
- Always apply multiple applications of Humate if the soil in the lawn is “dead” and the soil is being reclaimed to a living soil.
- Apply Humate if a homeowner is desiring the best looking lawn possible.
Humate Soil Conditioner will help build organic matter in soils.
Humate can be applied to a lawn at any time of year. We recommend at least one application of humate soil conditioner per season. It will help break up the clay soils of Colorado.
When Should Humate Be Applied to a Lawn?
Uses for Humate Soil Conditioner for Lawns
- Humate soil conditioner can be applied to a lawn any time of year on a Boulder or Fort Collins area lawn.
- We often apply humate to lawns the last week of May or first week of June (prior to the summer heat).
- Any time when seeding a lawn, humate is proven to increase seed germination.
- Any time a lawn has a disease, humate is proven to help diseased lawns recover quicker.
- After aeration, humate will get deeper into the soil and stimulate microbial activity in the soil at a deeper level.
Humate Application Season
Humate for Lawns
Any time of year (if there isn’t snow on the ground)
If you want humate applied to your Boulder or Fort Collins area lawn please contact your local lawn care expert Organo-Lawn to schedule an application.
FAQ – Humate
Why does humate help stimulate a living soil?
Humate is “super” compost that stimulates beneficial microbial activity in the soil and builds soils that are alive and healthy. Beneficial microbes in soils are similar to humans. They need air to breathe, water to drink, and food to eat. When Humate is used in conjunction with core aeration and the 1-2-3-2-1 lawn watering technique; the soil will have proper air, water and food to support microbial activity in soils.
Is Humate soil conditioner for lawns safe for kids?
According to the Colorado Department of Agriculture we legally cannot claim anything is safe. They even say water is not safe! We can, however, claim that Humate soil conditioner is 1,000,000 year old organic matter that is mined from the earth. It is considered to be non-toxic to people, pets and the environment. In fact Humate is used as a protein supplement in animal feeds. We consider Humate to be a fantastic lawn care product that is non-toxic.